Sunday, 30 April 2017
The Breeding Birds of Cumbria: a tetrad atlas 1997-2001
- Published by Cumbria Bird Club on 18th September 2002.
- A4 size, hard cover; 390 pages, full colour throughout.
- Foreword by Dr Derek Ratcliffe.
Each of the 152 breeding species has a two-page spread including:
- 700+ word account with historical perspective, range, trends, and population estimate;
- tetrad maps of both distribution and abundance of breeding birds;
- 10km square maps showing change in distribution over the last 30 years;
- an original line-art vignette;
- information boxes with survey statistics and conservation status.
Past, occasional, and potential breeders, and resident feral species not fully established, are covered in a separate section. An illustrated introductory section gives an account of the county’s landforms, climate and habitats. Appendices provide a gazetteer, statistics and references.
Buying a copy
- There are a few copies of this atlas left.
- Price £25 per copy inc P&P to UK.
- Member price: £10 - or £18 inc P&P to UK.
- Please send cheques (payable to 'Cumbria Bird Club') to CBC Secretary
- Dave Piercy - see Who's Who
Lakeland Book of the Year 2003
Our Atlas has won the prestigious Hunter Davies prize for the Lakeland Book of the Year 2003.
This is presented to the best book in any category from over 60 shortlisted titles. Our chairman Peter Ullrich also collected the Titus Wilson prize for the best book in the category covering guides, walks and places. Congratulations are due to all who worked so hard on the Atlas. These awards are a tremendous achievement for the Club and are a further recognition of the ground-breaking nature of the Atlas. After the ceremony both Border TV and Radio Cumbria broadcasted interviews with Hunter Davies and Peter Ullrich.
Peter pointed out that our book was a serious scientific study and Hunter Davies felt that every home in Cumbria should have one! The publicity gained will hopefully not only enable us to sell more copies but to also spread the vital conservation message of the Atlas.